Thursday, January 15, 2009

Astronomy

So, you all know that I am into astronomy. So much into it that it is my major. I have loved astronomy since I was a kid, and I am very excited that I get to be a part of the astronomical community in general. I recently attended a meeting of the American Astronomical Society where I presented a poster on some research that I helped my professor with. It was a very fun and exciting experience. Two-thousand astronomers in the same building. Wow!

I also work in the astronomy department as a TA for an observational astronomy class. It is fairly enjoyable, I get to help students learn how to use the telescope and take scientific data. This allows me to spend a lot of time at the ESC at night doing homework and answering questions. Most of the time we look at variable stars or open star clusters, meaning that the pictures we take are just fields of stars. There is not anything very magnificent in taking pictures of star fields, but once in a while we get a chance to take some fun pictures. This is a picture of the Hourglass Nebula that I took while helping some intro astronomy students with a project.
I also took pictures of the Orion Nebula (M42) when I was taking the observational astronomy class. This isn't the true colors of the Orion Nebula, but I really like how the picture looks.
This is two different versions of the same picture of Jupiter. In one I have the contrast set so that you can see the stripes on the planet, and on the other, I have the contrast set so that you can see the Galilean moons.














These final set of pictures are pictures that I took of the moon during the August 2007 total lunar eclipse. Usually, the moon is too bright for us to take pictures of, but since most of the light was blocked by the shadow of the earth, I could see it fairly well. I plan on trying to make a mosaic out of these four pictures, and if I ever succeed in doing this, I will post it.

3 comments:

Jill McQuade said...

those are cool pictures. i took an astronomy class, but then i got engaged during it and so spent most of my class doddling my soon to be new last name. ended up with a c. and i must say i'm very familiar with the esc. that's the building i cleaned as a freshman. I'm pretty sure i've been in every single room in that building. lastly, we missed you in Naxx

The Wanderer said...

great stuff Jeremy. I am jealous of photos.

Manda said...

So I just read all of your posts. Congrats on the new addition coming into your family, that is exciting.